Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:15:33 +0000
From:      Rob <robert@irrelevant.com>
To:        "Graham North" <graham.north@telus.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FTP difficulties 4.8R

At 13:32 15/02/2004 -0800, Graham North wrote:
>[snip]
>My FreeBSD box on the other hand is a different story.   It is a PII 166
>[snip]
>It does go outside and connect, sometimes I can ftp download some small
>files, most times the process stalls.   I generally need to open a new
>terminal to kill the process.

It may be nothing to do with this, but I get similar problems on my DSL
link with the default MTU setting, 1500, and I can get decidedly better
performance by reducing it.  Windows has some sort of dynamic adjustment,
but I've found it's more reliable to set FreeBSD specifically.   Try:

#ifconfig <network_interface> mtu 1438

and see if that makes a difference.

There are optimum values for the mtu, depending on your link parameters,
and various formulae, but try that first before fiddling more.