Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:48:32 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        "Daniel T. Chen" <crimsun@email.unc.edu>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Ian J Greely <ian@tirnanog.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mark Einreinhof <montana1@home.com>
Subject:   Re: Full or Half Duplex NICs

Dear All,

Thank you for replying. I am away till Wednesday, so will not find out
immediately from Netgear whether the hub supports full duplex. However,
since it is a hub and not a switch, Dan Nelson's advice that hubs do not
support full duplex may yet prevail (the reason why the docs that came
with the hub never mention full/half duplex?).

The issue of full /half duplex only came to light when I noticed that
the windows clients had defaulted to full duplex, yet those on both the
FreeBSD boxes defaulted to half duplex.
So my question is more about optimisation than repairing anything that's
not strictly broken.

With the ifconfig command I could fiddle with the settings, but I have
no way of consistently measuring network performance, collisions, etc.
All I can tell is that there are very few collision instances on the hub
(leds on the front panel) during file transfers, internet access, etc,
so I guess the current configuration is OK. I recently replaced a 3com
3c905b (10M/s) with the FA310TX: with the 3c905 the number of
collissions seemed horrendous even during small file transfers, so the
network has improved considerably since the change.

No need to reply. I have enough info now to go on.

Thanks again,
Ric