Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 14:47:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@fledge.watson.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   question re: ISDN and screen

1) We're considering hooking up an Ethernet to Internet via an ISDN line
as a contract job and were wondering if anyone had any particular advice
concerning setting this up -- we'd be using ppp and so on.  The idea is
to get a 64kbps connection as opposed to the existing 28.8 hookup.

2) I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5 on my personal system (fledge, which I'm
sending this email from.)  It's a Pentium 120 w/32 megs of ram, and
running under XFree86.  I advised a user on the system to use screen this
morning, only to discover that it coredumps with a segmentation fault
whenever used here.  It is the screen from the packages directory, and
instaled using pkg_manage.  Is there anything I should know? ;)

also, I was wondering if anyone had recompiled the olvwm clients at some
point so that cmdtool and shelltool didn't dump either.

BTW, I thought I might include a quick thanks and such -- FreeBSD is
running pretty much flawlessly on my pentium with great performance, and
is serving my Windows system using Samba very very nicely.  I'm also
running a web server off of it, and while contracting for the National
Institutes of Health/National Center for Human Genome Research installed
several workstations there with FreeBSD and XFree86 dfor WWW development
work to supplement their existing Sparcstations/server setup.  I'm going
to continue advising customers that FreeBSD is the way to go for a cheap
but very reliable net setup for pretty much any purpose.

And a quick word about the FAQ -- you might want to add a line about
plug-n-play ethernet cards under FreeBSD machines -- disabling PnP tends
to help a lot.  we installed Windows 95 and FreeBSD on two machines and
found that in each case we had problems until we disabled PnP and hard
configured the ethernet cards.  Then it worked fine ;).  The SMC
EzEthercard I was using gave a variety of errors and failures as windows
95 wuld reconfigure it every boot, and one couldn't reliably predict the
configuration at boottime to add to the kernel config.

Thanks,

Robert Watson
rwatson@fledge.watson.org