Date:      Sat, 07 Mar 1998 02:47:59 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com>
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG (Jordan K. Hubbard), heller@cdnow.com, vance@usq.edu.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind

> Um... I'm confused... /usr/src/contrib looks like the original code
> to these things.  At least in -stable.  Isn't /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
> the "bmake-ified" versions where they're actually built from?

Yes, this is the part that needs to be done.  Vendor-branch importing
the originals, modulo the removal of any components not strictly
needed by FreeBSD, is the easy part.  Then you need to construct
the bmake "skeletons" that actually build the bits.  In former times
the two were combined and /usr/src/contrib didn't exist at all,
but we've made it somewhat cleaner now.

> And we're talking about making perl5 the "default" perl,
> ie the perl in /usr/bin/perl -- as opposed to the "port" perl,
> /usr/local/bin/perl, which already exists and works, right?

Correct.

						Jordan