Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 22:09:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.4 and 4.1 differences?

> 	Ok, so I've got 4.1 installed on my gateway machine, this exact
> hardware was running 3.4 as the gateway for almost a year. An upgrade to a
> 18 gig SCSI drive prompted and upgrade in the software. I'm having
> problems with the inside machines connecting to the outside world. They
> can telnet to the gateway machine fine, but it's a bit slow (about 30
> seconds to connect.) Netscape on these machines don't work, it times
> out. I've gone so far as to put all the old configuration files from the
> old hard drive on to the new one, with the exact same problem. I've
> disabled my firewalls, removed named, natd looks like it's working - to no
> avail... I have no clue what could be the problem at this point... :( Can
> anyone give me a clue as to what I need to look for..? Thanks much!

Sounds like DNS isn't working on them.  Make sure the DNS server they
are trying to contact are indeed there.  You may want to try
restarting named and making sure it works rather than removing it on
your gateway if you think the machines behind it may be referencing it
as a nameserver.

To check if DNS is properly configured, try to ping something using a
hostname.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

If the government wants us to behave, they should set a better example!