Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 08:55:54 +0200 (EET DST)
From:      Joakim Henriksson <murduth@ludd.luth.se>
To:        nlan@athena.aegean.ariadne-t.gr (Nikos Landrou)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stealth 2001 problems

> I own a Diamond stealth 64 dram from the 2001 series..

I have a similar card in my machine but it has the ARK2000PV chipset. When
trying to get it to start x it goes black. Though you can still login over
the network. I think there is some problems with the probe of either the
accelerator or the timing chip which locks up the adapter. Try to put in the
"ChipSet <chipset>" parameter and try again. Also try to use the generic
SVGA server and the mono one. Try visualy verifying the clockchip, on the
graphic board, and implicitly specify it in the XF86Config file... Try
"ChipSet generic" with the generic SVGA server, which seems to me to be the
best bet of getting it to work everytime baring the use of the mono server :)

> After i configure my video card and monitor with xf86config
> i type "startx"...
> The strange thing is, every time i ran Xfree86, my screen
> became blank, and my computer hanged... (i can't do nothing, not even
> CTRL-ALT-DEL or CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE)

> It's strange, because even though i don't change nothing, my computer
> can't always run them...
> Also, i can't get more than 256 colors..

 I cant seem to get it past mono but thats okay with me if only I could get
up to 1152x900 or more, but since the frigging xmono server only uses 64k
out of 2Mb it doesnt look too good, anyone here that could offer any help on
this? Oh yeah once i actually had it show 256 colors but only in 320x200 on
a 20" monitor. You could get nightmares for less :)

regards/ Joakim