Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 00:22:13 GMT
From:      Dan <bugg@c705742-a.htfdw1.ct.home.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   EIDE controller only seen with install disks

If i boot my install disks, the kernel finds wdc1 at 0x170 irq 15.
Everything is peachy, and acd0 is found.  If only life was that easy :)

here are the options from my latest kernel regarding wdc1 and acd0:
controller wdc1  at isa?  port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
disk wd2 at wdc1 drive 0
options ATAPI
options ATAPI_STATIC
device acd0

no go.  dmesg | grep -i wdc1 yields the following:
wdc1 not found at 0x170
I've double checked to make sure that the CD-ROM is set to master.
I've even fooled with IDE_TIMEOUT settings wondering if maybe the kernel on the installation disks were out of the norm. (And that my CD-ROM wasn't to spec)
Its an 8x Sony drive.   Installation disk is able to find wdc1 at 0x170, irq 15.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-bugg