Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:33:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anything like COM in Java?

Huh;

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, j mckitrick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I really like some of the concepts of COM in the Windows environment,
> like a published interface, a GUID, and built-in versioning.

with the risk of being overly flip; you like COM because you haven't
written any full size multiple developer products with it yet!

it get's very fragile and fiddly when you get up to the multiple 100's of
interfaces.

i could explain some more practical and pragmatic challenges associated
with COM ( which i agree is pretty darn nifty in theory ), but this is the
freebsd java list.

> I understand Java Beans are the Java version of components, but I
> believe they work a bit differently.
>
> Is there anything like COM binary components in Java?

umm, CORBA? are you trying to interoperate with a non java app? any non
java app has to speak the same binary interfacing standard.

you could probably develop a COM-ish thing, but really, it's less of a joy
than you might think.

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life