Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:04:35 +0200
From:      Marc Perisa <perisa@porsche.de>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: How to create another account with root privileges ?

Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Bob Johnson wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday 09 October 2002 09:02 pm, Pranav A. Desai appears to have written:
>>
>>>Hi! I have been asked to create admin accounts for a machine such that
>>>all of them can access that machine as root but with different
>>>username and password.
>>
>>In many environments, this is reasonable.  Sometimes you have
>>more than one person who is must have full administrative rights,
>>unless you plan to have your one administrator be on 24/7 call.  It is
>>good policy to prohibit anyone, even administrators, from sharing
>>accounts, so you give each admin their own account.  Of course, if
>>they only need limited admin rights, then sudo is probably a better
>>solution.  Talk to your customer and find out what they are really trying
>>to accomplish.
>

> man su

Nope. man sudo - as Bob Johnson said. Or man super. Or or or. Today
there is a bunch of alternatives. Take a look into /usr/ports/security
for wrappers. (A colleague has written his own some years ago when there
were no alternative).

>>The "toor" account is an example of exactly what you want, although
>>by default it is disabled (by an invalid password field).  To create a
>>similar account, use "vipw" to edit the password file.  Copy the root entry,
>>but give each person their own name and the shell of their choice (the
>>shell must be in /etc/shells).
>

> What -is- that toor (root backwards) account for anyways??

Do a little google search. Or it is mentioned in the handbook (iirc).

> Is there a command similar to vipw that uses a simpler editor, like pico?

IIRC no. Get used to vi. You will have to use it sometimes in the
future. If you do any commercial *nix there normally isn't anything else
  (ok beside from ed :)) installed by default. And if you are a
consultant and go to a customer and asking for pico ...

>>Leave everything else the same as for root.  If you copy the password
>>field from the root account, then the new admin account will have the
>>same password, which should be changed by the user of the account.
>>Also, never change the shell for root.  It needs to be as it is for some
>>things to work right.  That's why the toor account exists: so you can
>>set up an admin account with your choice of shell.
>

> I always log in 100% of the time to my box as root and my shell is tcsh

Eum. DON'T.

Use su/super/sudo mostly ANY time you have to do work as root.

sudo provides you with a log of what you have done. That might come in
handy if you typed "rm -rf */*1*/??g*/*html" ... it will get expanded in
the log - and then you know what to restore :) Also if more than user is
administrating you even know when who had done what (ok, you can change
the log - but that will get obvious). And the biggest plus is: NOONE has
to know the root password. You can let a manager set it, write it down
to a paper, put that into an envelop, seal the envelop and put that
envelop into a safe. Some companies (like banks, assurances) have a
policy to do so.

> Does it matter that (I think) I changed the shell for root?

Yes, it does. If you boot single-user and/or your /usr partition is
corrupted (you have to do a fsck) you can not use that shell, because it
is on that partition. For other OSes (like HP-UX) there is the problem
that other shells than /bin/sh are *not* statically linked - so without
/usr you can do nothing - but you must. (I don't know if that applies to
FreeBSD too - if not take it as a general warning.)

>>The big disadvantage of this is that if you have three admin accounts,
>>an attacker has three times greater chance of cracking the root
>>password if they get their hands on your password file.  Stress to the
>>admins that it is critical that they use strong passwords on the admin
>>accounts.  A good way to create a strong password is to come up
>>with a sentence of 8 or more words known only to yourself (i.e. NOT
>>a well known phrase), and take the first letter of each word to form an
>>acronym.  Throw in some strange capitalization and a few special
>>characters for best effect.  For example, the phrase might be
>>"my mother dances with bears (in the moonlight)", which gives me a
>>password of "mMdwb(itm)".  If the phrase used is widely known, this
>>method becomes as easy to crack as single words of the same length,
>>but if you use unique phrases the resulting passwords are very good.
>

> Good point about crackers and their having three times the power!

First they have to tell what user accounts exists. ....

Hope that helps

Marc