Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 03:49:28 -0700
From:      "SegR" <SegR@shaw.wave.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Multiple computers via single connection...

I'm in the process of switching to a fast speed ISP and I wanted to setup my
local LAN to access the Net via the single connection...

>From what I understand I could setup FBSD as a proxy server so that the rest
of the LAN can access the NET through the ISP.

A little info:
My ISP:
My ISP client setup is quite easy.  A Motorola Cable modem hooked up via NIC
card. IP and DNS is assigned via DHCP server.

My LAN:
My LAN isn't that big, actually it will only be on client (does not include
the BSD box).  However I need the capability of adding other machines at a
later time.

Possible Possibilites:
#1 Hook up one computer directly to the modem as the ISP sugests...

#2 Purchase hub, cabaling, hook modem to uplink on hub w/ cross over twisted
pair cable, hook individual computers to hub.  Pay ISP for additional IP's
for each machine (max of IP's is 5)

#3 Setup Win9x or WinNT w/ proxy server such as wingate. Need second nic
card in the proxy machine.

#4 Setup a BSD box as a proxy hook computers on second NIC card.

Why not some possible possiblities:
#1 HEY, I want multiple computers on the NET.

#2 Not only expensive but, HEY, it's EXPENSIVE!, did i mention that it costs
alot ;-)

#3 Quick setup under 1hour (I have done this before).  Slow thourougput
performance.

#4 Sounds fun to setup, and challenging.  Never done this before, so I
reserve a week to set this up properly.  Rumour has it that this setup might
actually achieve beter thourougput than option one due to Windoze
architecture (Yes of course I could use FBSD as my client computer but, hey,
BSD is NOT my work station of choice).

So finally my question is, how do I go about achieving option #4.
Here a few things that I hope to have by seting up option#4:
1. It works!
2. I could log on to the proxy server and it would assign my workstation a
dynamic IP (this is not necessary, this something cool I would like to
setup)
3. Don't expect much else, but we will have to see.

What I will do once I get this to work!
1. Publish a web page where you could point others in this situation to; and
never here from them again (in a good way)!

Thank you for all your time,
Stephane