Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 11:44:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iaint@css.tuu.utas.edu.au>
To:        Haydar <haydar@worldonline.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sis5597/5598

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Haydar wrote:

> Dear seer
> I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a computer that have
> SIS5597/5598 VGA Driver but i couldn't configure the driver to
> work on XWindows, Do you know where can i download the driver for
> that SVGA-KARD or how to install it.

Well, the XFree86 drivers don't support many of the SiS cards (I have a
6326) and I had to basically get out the XFree86 link kit and modify the
SiS driver source so that it would run on my card. This was basically by
changing the probing so that the ID that the card returns was not
considered to be invalid.

I use the XF86_SVGA driver (I missed that out up above), with the sis
chipset, but you might need to use either the XF86_VGA16 driver and just
get a very bad screenmode. Both of those are available from any XFree86
mirror. If its only a VGA card, I'd go for the XF86_VGA16 driver.

I also had to turn off all hardware speedup code :-(

The file you would need to change would be
Server/drivers/vga256/sis/sis86c201.c

Although I'm not sure that that would work anyway, since your card might
not be compatible with the 86c201, 86c202 or 86c205 (mine apparently is).

Sigh, maybe there will be better support for the SiS cards in the next
major release (4.0), but they don't even know when that will be coming out
yet. Plus I suppose they need some enterprising soul to write the driver.

Good luck,
Iain.

--
Iain Templeton, Computer Science Society sysadmin
	BE (Computer Systems Engineering) 3rd year