Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:29:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        SimsS@Infi.Net
Subject:   Re: Fw: Building world after cvsup

As Steve Sims wrote:

> I could fiddle for days, but I'll cut to the chase;  What are the steps
> necessary to build a -stable release after cvsup'ing the appropriate bits?
>
> (I started with the 960501 SNAP, for what that's worth.)

Ah, therein lies the rub!

Well, ``downgrading'' a system from 2.2 to 2.1.X is really a hard job.
You might succeed if you try hard, but it won't go ``out of the box'',
you need a good understanding of Makefiles, a quick `grep', and
intimate knowledge on how to handle `more' (or `less', if you prefer)
in a timely fashion, mostly for the files under /usr/share/mk/.

``make world'' was simply intended only for the other way round:
upgrading a system.  Whenever some tool is required before you can
upgrade, it will make its way into one of the special targets of
/usr/src/Makefile.  Naturally, nobody maintains the same set of tools
for a downgrade.  So sorry to say, but you're mostly on your own.

(I've once had a hard time making a 2.1.5 prerelease from within my
2.2-current system, and this even though `make release' mostly runs
inside a chroot'ed tree.  One of the showstoppers were new shared libs
that will always get precedence over old ones.)

--
cheers, J"org