Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:10:50 GMT
From:      drauman@siscom.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp and USR 56k Sportster modem

I'm trying to set up dialin ppp.  I know FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE can use the
modem because I dialed out and with ppp in interactive mode.  I could set
the "Answer after rings" setting to one (1) and the modem would pick up.
Soon as I dropped out of ppp the modem would not answer.  Ok, www.usr.com
had a page for setting up the modem for unix.  Entered interactive mode and
issued the command "AT&FS0=1&W" received OK.  This was supposed to update
the NVRAM.  I checked it by issuing the command "ATI5" template 0 showed
"S0=001. . ."  "S0" being the "Answer after # of rings".  Exited
interactive mode and tried to dial the modem did not answer????  A very
specific question I know but can anybody help?

Dan Auman