Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:08:40 -0700
From:      Raymundo Vega Aguilar <rvega@cicese.mx>
To:        KUMAR@BOGPO1.CO.unisys.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!

> In Email, "Kumar, Rao                  CO" <KUMAR@BOGPO1.CO.unisys.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks in advance for your time. I saw your mail id on the Internet. So I am
> sending you this mail
> and would highly appreciate your help.
> I have written a TSR (that runs on MS DOS 6.2) that intercepts the interrupt
>  1C (timer interrupt). What I am
>  trying to do in this interrupt handler is some file i/o (using fopen, fread
> and fclose of Microsoft C).

Because MS-DOS is a NOT reentrant pseudo-operating system, is very
difficult to use file i/o from a TSR program, the solution is somewhat
complex (and outside the scope of this list) so if you really want
to contnue the proyect, then you have to read:

Title:   Extending TurboC profesional.
Author:   Al Stevens
ed:      Sams Book. (not sure)

This is the only one that i have read and has a chapter on the subject.

> At times the system hangs. I thought it was due to some conflict in
> simultaneous handling of interrupt 21h by the file i/o calls inside my
> routine and the foreground application. So I tried to do a check for the
> InDOS
> flag before proceeding with my interrupt handling routine, but this flag is
> always 1 when my interrupt
> routine is invoked (even when there is no front end application).
>
> Probably because the InDOS flag is not being set by the front-end
> application, but by your interrupt handling routine.

You have to replace the disk I/O interrupt as well.

> 2. Is there any other way to know if MS DOS is executing a 21h interrput ?

Yes, but dont remember which one is it.

Saludos

Raymundo.