Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:52:10 -0400
From:      Carl Schmidt <carl@slackerbsd.org>
To:        Gene@Bomgardner.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Woes

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 12:25:49AM -0400, Gene Bomgardner wrote:
> Hi all:
>=20
> I'm running Apache on a 4.3 box. It runs stand-alone. If I access it=20
> from a browser on the LAN it works fine. However, if I attempt to=20
> use it from another location on the Net, it fails to respond. I've=20
> verified that the box is reachable (ie. I can telnet to it, ftp from it,=
=20
> etc). Nothing shows up in the the access or error logs. It appears=20
> that packets from remote sites aren't reaching httpd. I've tried=20
> checking over the httpd.conf file and I've even tried to make sure=20
> that inetd isn't somehow intercepting the packets. The firewall rules=20
> are simply any to any, no restrictions of any kind. Still nothing.
>=20
> I need a few troubleshooting suggestions. For example, is there=20
> any way to record incoming packets from the outside world for=20
> inspection? Can they be traced through the system to see where=20
> they are going?
>=20
> Thanx for any help.
>=20

For review:
You can start by putting your configuration somewhere (edit file locations =
if
you are concerned about that...) so that someone can look over it to make s=
ure
there isn't some stray Listen directive or something.

For troubleshooting:
Use sockstat and see if apache is listening on the address/port it's intend=
ed
to listen on. Or if you don't have sockstat for some reason (it comes with
freebsd so you should probably have it) then use netstat. Try tcpdump as we=
ll
to make sure the packets are getting through to see if any reply is generat=
ed
(are you sure there is no outbound port filtering being done somewhere else=
?)

tcpdump example usage: (as root)
# tcpdump -i fxp0 port 80 (where fxp0 is the interface name)
(or a more useful output)
# tcpdump -vvv -X -i fxp0 port 80

tcpdump is capable of saving raw packets to a file for further, later,
inspection with tcpdump or some other program which can analyse raw tcpdump
data. There is tons more information in the tcpdump manual page. Read it. It
will become your friend if it isn't already.
--=20
Carl Schmidt
Just like the pied piper led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes swaying to the symphony of destruction
http://slackerbsd.org/

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--