Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 05:21:05 -0600
From:      "default013" <default013@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   question about tarfiles

Hi,

A couple of days ago, someone broke into one of our systems at work, leaving
a bunch of very volitile scripts around. I isolated the scripts and tarred
them up so that I could later take a look at them and see exactly what they
were for.

I was downloading them to another computer the to look at the other day, and
had mis-typed in this command:

tar cvfg tarfile.tar.gz tarfilecd ad*

I had fallen asleep while downloading the scripts, and was planning to make
a new tarfile when I finished, but I had accidentally typed 'g' instead of
'z' in the options. Then I woke up later, had forgotten that I had entered
that and was planning to cd to a directory...

My best guess, is that this ran an incremental backup of all files in any
directory named ad.

The output was like this:

/home/user/subdirectory/file FILE IS NEW

This also created the tarfile named tarfile.tar.gz.

Could anyone tell me what this did? I'm a little afraid I may have messed
something up...

Thanks!