Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:44:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        Sam Hays <sam@ecofl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DualBoot issues

Hi Sam,

(I did not reply to freebsd-newbies as this post belong on questions, not
newbies)

Regarding modifying the boot.ini, go to:

http://www.freebsd.org/faq

and under section 7. System Administration you want How Can I Use the NT
Loader to Boot BSD.

I've done this on dozens of systems with success.

However, if I was starting from scratch, I'd save myself some hassle
and physically swith the drives so I could install BSD on the first drive.
I've had better luck modifying the boot.ini to point to NT on my 2nd drive
than to muck with putting BSD on a second drive.

When you install BSD, remember to say yes to installing the boot manager.
Note  you'll end up with TWO boot menus; one will be a press F1 or F2 menu
which will be followed by the NT boot menu if you choose NT.

Once you've added BSD to your boot.ini and verified that you can boot both
OSs from NT, an fdisk /mbr removes the BSD boot menu and you're left with
just NT's boot menu. Pretty slick. My test box is running Win98, NT WS, NT
Server, FreeBSD and Novell 5, all booting from my boot.ini.  Of the lot,
BSD was the easiest to install where I wanted it to go; the only one that
had me pulling out my hair was Novell--but that's another story.

If you are wary of messing with your boot.ini, email me off the list for
help.

Dru