Date:      Wed, 18 May 2005 15:56:41 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: illegal user root user failed login attempts

--nextPart1219631.cX3ES949Zg

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 09:36, Peter Kropholler wrote:

> As things stand, ssh is designed so you can't get at people's passwords
> and I am leaving it alone. Focussing instead on the task of making
> sure my passwords are strong, limiting AllowUsers to specific users and
> trusted ip addresses, and moving ssh off port 22.

Alternatively, scrap all that and force RSA authentication after disabling=
=20
password login.  I could give you my root password (and even my personal=20
password) and there isn't jack you can do with it because no services=20
authenticate off it; it's only useful for logging in locally.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser