Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:40:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Kosta Khomko <kosta@pepper.microdot.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI adapter problem

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Kosta Khomko wrote:

> " /kernel: nca0/0/0 data length underflow"
> /kernel:nca: last byte timeout" after a while i get "
> /kernel: nca0/0/0 (sd0) timed out" and the system nearly halts. why could
> this error be occuring and what could i do to resolve it? ANY help wil be

Sounds almost like it could be a termination problem.  Have you checked
your drives and controller card to be sure that the first and last device
on the chain is terminated (accounting for external devices as well as
internal), and that no others are?  Also, if you have only internal
devices and no external (or the other way around) and your SCSI had an
automatic termination setting, if you can, force the card to have
termination on rather than using the automatic setting.  I've found that
to be a help on my Adaptec 2940.