Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:58:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Tim Peeters <timp@stack.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/69633: fm801 kernel module does not work for Terratec 512i digital soundcard

>Number:         69633
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       fm801 kernel module does not work for Terratec 512i digital
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD tim.lan 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #2: Mon Jul 26 15:26:25 CEST 2004 root@tim.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TIM001 i386

AMD Athlon Processor, 1 GHz.
FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT, but I've also experienced this problem in the past with 4.x

 	fm801 kernel module does not work for Terratec 512i digital soundcard
 	even though it has an fm801 chipset.
 	The module can be loaded and the kernel sees the hardware, but
 	it seems impossible to get the driver to use the hardware.

>How-To-Repeat:
 	Try to produce sound using a Terratec 512i digital soundcard.
>Fix:
 	In /usr/src/sys/dev/sounc/pci/fm801.c: replace the line
 	if (bus_space_read(st, sh, 0x28) == 0) {
 	It is assumed that if something different than 0 is returned
 	is only a radio tuner with no sound capabilities. This is not
 	the case here.
 	So replacing the check by eg. { will fix the problem.