Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:22:26 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/lpt0 is always busy

on Jul 18 19:11, i got this from User...
> 	I have never attempted to get a printer working
> on FreeBSD until now so excuse my very limited knowledge.
> I just obtained an HP LaserJet IIP and after attempting the
> printer test as described in the handbook
>
> lptest > /dev/lpt0
>
> 	I get
>
> /dev/lpt0: Device busy.
>
> 	After trying to change the Printer to polling mode using
> lptcontrol -p, I get
>
> lptcontrol: open: Device busy

i don't know why lptest would give you a busy msg, but to put lpt in
polling mode you need to do...

# lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpctl0

...at least that's what i had to do after making kernel w/ updated
source tree as of jun 24, 2001.  lptcontrol didn't complain w/ old
sources (don't remember the date) though.

see man page for lptcontrol.