Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:41:57 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: df -h

* Eric Brueggmann <brueggma@snoopie.yi.org> [20001026 15:25]:
=>Hello again,
=>
=>	I'm experiencing some more df problems.  I just typed "df -h" for the
=>second time in the past 2 days, and the machine rebooted.  No messages in the
=>logs, nothing.
=>
=># uname -a
=>FreeBSD dsl-64-193-123-121.telocity.com 4.1.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE #0: Fri Oct 20 12:11:58 CDT 2000     root@dsl-64-193-123-121.telocity.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BEAST  i386
=>
=>	Could this just be hardware failure? (disk)

I doubt if your problem is related to df ..
If you do that 3 times, does the box reboot each time?? That would tie the
reboot and df...assuming I am making a technical guess...I would reboot,
do a df -h again, see if that reboots the box, do it again and see if it
happens again and then post to the list all my hardware details and any
strange settings/customizations I might have done, being the novice that I
am....but for me now,

[wash@alouette:~]> df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s2a    73M    31M    36M    46%    /
/dev/ad0s2e   1.6G   1.3G   149M    90%    /usr
/dev/ad0s2f    34M    28M   3.1M    90%    /var
/dev/ad0s1    2.0G   1.7G   302M    85%    /win
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
[wash@alouette:~]> uname -msr
FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE i386

Nothing ...no reboots..so I think it is something else...

=>
=>
=>					Eric B.
=>
=>> Hello..
=>>
=>>        Sorry for the cross post.  I was wondering what could cause this:
=>>
=>># du -hc /var | grep total
=>> 15M    total
=>># df -h /var
=>>Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
=>>/dev/ad3s2e    483M   101M   343M    23%    /var
=>># sync
=>># df -h /var
=>>Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
=>>/dev/ad3s2e    483M   101M   343M    23%    /var
=>>
=>>This happens every couple of weeks or so..  The difference is usually not
=>>as great as it is now.  Is there any way to fix it?  I don't think du is
=>>following any sym links, or anything.
=>>
=>>                                                Thank You,
=>>                                                Eric Brueggmann
=>
=>
=>
=>
=>To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
=>with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke 5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Don't be humble, you're not that great. -Golda Meir