Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:57:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        sas@schell.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE 6.0 SMP by factor 2.3 !!!

Terry Lambert said:

> The main SMP competitive failur for FreeBSD and Linux is the lack
> of a unified central architectural plan, with a roadmap going
> forward that addresses the SMP issue, in toto.

Yes.  An SMP architecture is a more specific design than UP.  A proper
SMP design can be degraded into a reasonable UP design.  However, a purely
UP design (and excellent on at that) doesn't necessarily translate cleanly
to a supurb SMP design.

The lowest levels should be redesigned (from the ground up), and then
the old stuff can be bolted back on.  As time goes on, the old stuff
can migrate to a more SMP optimal design.  The networking code is probably
too much to quickly change, but the VM code is an excellent candidate to
be one of the first truely SMP subsystems.  With ALC (and the VM support
team), there is a *good* chance of it being done properly.

Starting with a UP kernel, thinking of "enhancing it", as opposed to having
a proper plan and target will doom the project to continual rework in order
to approach reasonable behavior.  (Defining "reasonable" as a design that
requires few excuses about tradeoffs.)

IMO, a LL SMP infrastructure needs to be defined (and I am being lax at it
right now).  After that infrastucture is defined, then the subsystem interfaces
to that structure become easier to develop.  The key is to both avoid
hodge-podge design, while having a smooth transition to the future.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid