Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:49:44 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>, "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [OFF] Pentium vs Athlon which is better

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 04:26:52PM +0530, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 25, 2002 3:51 PM, Jud wrote:
> >
> > After trying several heatsink/fans I've personally settled on
> > the Thermal
> > Integration TI77N, but there are likely almost as many
> > opinions in this
> > regard as there are custom built computers with AMD CPUs.  The
> > maximum temperature I see is around 55-56C.
>
> It used to be like that before I upgraded my motherboard. However, I did
> not change my processor. I think some of the glue b/w the cpu and
> heatsink may have come off. think that could be the reason ?

It's certainly possible... is this glue some kind of thermal pad that came
attached to the heatsink?  You probably want to scrape that stuff off (may
need a bit of alcohol to dissolve it all, hopefully the heatsink isn't
glued permanently to the CPU), get some proper thermal compound
(any electronics store should stock this) and apply a *very* thin layer
between the heatsink and the CPU.

There's plenty of how-to articles on the web that will walk you through the
whole process, such as:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Thermal goo is actually a worse conductor of heat than either the CPU core
or the heatsink, but better than air, so the trick is to apply just enough
to fill in all the microscopic gaps between the two parts, but no more.

85C is really not a healthy temperature for a CPU...

	Scott