Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2011 08:44:49 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports cross-compilation

Am 01.12.2011 um 05:06 schrieb Oleksandr Tymoshenko:

> I've been tinkering with ports cross-compilation for a couple of days =
and decided to summarize this experience. It might start some =
discussion, or, with any luck, some action.

Excellent points!

> - Package builder works only on installed port.

Have you looked at pkgng yet?  The wiki page says it can create a =
package from a separate directory tree.

> - Makefile for cross-compilable port should be split into three parts:
>  common, native, cross. It's not clear who should maintain cross part
>  though.

=46rom many previous discussions, people are reluctant to add files to =
all ports because of the filesystem and VCS bloat that causes.  Also, =
considering the number of ports there are in the tree, and how well =
maintained many of the lesser ones are, any solution that requires no or =
very little changes to each port would stand a much bigger chance of =
being implemented successfully.

Has anyone set up a ports build for mips yet, perhaps in an emulator?  =
It would be very interesting to see which ports build at all on mips.

(I naively installed editors/joe from my TL-WR1043ND, which took about a =
day mainly because it pulls in perl, and the perl build tools grow to =
around 100 MB memory size.  Most of the time was spent paging=85)

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811