Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 1996 14:47:16 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Fred Adorno <fadorn19@idt.liberty.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fvwm and x-windows

--------

Fred Adorno uttered with conviction:
> When I attempt to exec fvwm from the prompt and error message states
> "Unable to open display";

 This means that you did not specify a display. You can do this by
 either setting the DISPLAY variable:

  csh > setenv DISPLAY {hostname}:0.0

  sh > DISPLAY={hostname}:0.0 ; export DISPLAY

 ( replace {hostname} with your display. )

> when attempted while in xterm it states that there's another window
> manager open.

 Are you running another window manager?? like twm for instance.. If
 you can click on the root window ( area without any other windows )
 and get a menu then you are probably running another window manager.

 You might make yourself an .xinitrc that sets the window manager.
 somthing like:

#!/bin/csh

setenv DISPLAY `hostname`:0.0
xsetroot -solid steelblue &
fvwm &
xterm -sb -sl 1000 -title 'Login'

 Remeber that the _last_ executable in the script must be started in
 the forground. When you that program ( in this case xterm ) you will
 exit from x-windows. So you could put the window manager last if you
 like, however using an xterm like the above allows one to switch
 window managers on the fly.

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?