Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:50:59 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gabor Tjong A Hung <gvtjongahung@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: opensync ports

--=-/zaeNGMUSYFi8d2z04iq

Gabor Tjong A Hung p=ED=B9e v ne 17. 06. 2007 v 11:49 +0200:

> I am new to porting and have tried to port opensync, and the result is
> included as attachment.

.pc files must go to libdata/pkgconfig, not in lib/pkgconfig.

What's up with pkg-message? It does not seem to be referenced anywhere
in the port.

>    - There is a devel/libopensync. I'm not sure if this is the same port.
>    It appears to be, but this port is version 0.17. This was released
>    04/23/05, so I thought I better start anew.
>=20
> Should the port be called libopensync? or is opensync the correct name?

It's the same port, do it as an update on that directory.

>    - The following lines were also part of the install instructions.
>=20
> # this is required that frontends and plugins find the opensync-1.0.pc fi=
le
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=3D$OPENSYNC_BUILD/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>=20
> was it correct of me to assume that
> CONFIGURE_ENV=3D  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=3D${LOCALBASE}/lib/pkgconfig would be
> equivalent?

Have you tried without it? Did it worked? I have a feeling this line
will have zero effect on the build.

>    - Based on the pkg-plist I also assumed it had some libraries, so I
>    added a USE_LDCONFIG=3D   yes, although I am hesitating if USE_LDCONFI=
G=3D
>    ${PREFIX}/lib/ ${PREFIX}/lib/opensync/formats ${PREFIX}/lib/pkgconfig
>=20
> it does compile fine *with* and *without* USE_LDCONFIG

It will compile with or without USE_LDCONFIG. USE_LDCONFIG is ment to
expose libraries for other ports. You don't need to expose libraries to
ldconfig, if they are never linked again, only dl_open()ed on runtime.
Typically, this covers all plugins. I'm quite sure the content of
lib/opensync will be dl_open plugins.

lib/pkgconfig does not contain any shared libraries.

>    - Library dependencies. Is there a way to *know* what the port depends
>    on except from the documentation provided? I couldn't find any dependa=
ncies
>    in the documentation of opensync. My port does seem to clean
>    scons-0.97, python24-2.4.4 and opensync-0.30.

You should read make configure output, it usually checks for
dependencies there. If it uses scons for build instead of make, I think
you might have the dependency list right here.

Clean space test will help you verify this. You could set up Tinderbox
for that.

> Furthermore, since this is not an application, how can I *know" if this p=
ort
> is succesfully ported?

Port the application too :)

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

Mischief managed.

--=-/zaeNGMUSYFi8d2z04iq
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?UTF-8?Q?_=C4=8D=C3=A1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-/zaeNGMUSYFi8d2z04iq--