Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:52:23 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        efinley@efinley.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: logging to syslogd

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 at 21:44 SAST, Elliot Finley wrote:

> This particular command (or program) runs continuously.  I've tested
> logger with commands that eventually terminate, and it works just
> fine, but I can't get logger to log to syslogd from a program that
> doesn't terminate...  I've even tried different permutations like
> 'command | xargs logger -t sometag' and it still will not log until
> the command terminates.

Then I don't have any immediate suggestions.  Do you have access to the
source of this program/command?  What language is it written in?  If it's in
C, you can probably hack it to make use of the syslog(3) interface.  In fact,
most common Unix programming/scripting languages should have a convenient
interface to syslog.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559