Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:58:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: God I feel stupid (gcc issue)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Laurence Berland wrote:

> I've been going through the PR database, thinking maybe it was my turn
> to do something for FreeBSD.  I looked at pr bin/2036.  Problem?  long
> isn't big enough to count all the bytes we could hold.  So I look in the
> code and find
>

> /* Total number of bytes read and written for all files.
>    Now that many tape drives hold more than 4Gb we need more than 32
>    bits to hold input_bytes and output_bytes.  But it's not worth
>    the trouble of adding special multi-precision arithmetic if the
>    compiler doesn't support 64 bit ints since input_bytes and
>    output_bytes are only used to print the number of blocks copied.  */
> #ifdef __GNUC__
> long long input_bytes, output_bytes;
> #else
> long input_bytes, output_bytes;
> #endif
>
> in global.c
>
> So I thought, "we don't define __GNUC__?"  I figured I'd check.  After
> much mind wracking, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get gcc
> to output a list of what is and isnt defined by default...  help!

Don't feel stupid, it's a good question.

touch null.c;gcc -v null.c;rm null.c

That'll do it.  You can also look at the gcc specs file with
-dumpspecs.  You can also use -save-temps to save all intermediate
compilation products (output of cpp, assembler output).  All this can be
useful when fighting a make problem.

Chuck Robey             | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org| electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.