Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 02:31:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu (Allen Smith)
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documenting sysctls (was: Re: kernfs/procfs questions...)

> OK... but documentation as to what it does would still be nice, as per
> the thing (L2-filtering-bridging) that I mentioned. Does it indeed do
> what I thought it does?

FreeBSD does not do any L2 bridging. There are two standalone
alternatives for that, my pcbridge code (available from my web
page, romable, but only supports ed-like cards) and the drawbridge
stuff at http://drawbridge.tamu.edu/

Both are based on FreeBSD (pcbridge actually only uses the netboot
code, but compiles under FreeBSD).

remember, acting as a bridge puts a lot of load on a machine because it
has to listen to all traffic on all interfaces. pcbridge saves some
work by only loading to memory the header of the packet and throwing
data away if the packet must not be forwarded, but a solution using the
generic FreeBSD device drivers would almost surely have to load the
entire packet to memory before working on it.

	cheers
	luigi