Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:03:31 -0600
From:      topcat@sk.sympatico.ca
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wanted:  FreeBSD via FTP

I have been through your website at http://www.freebsd.org and
I am still very much unclear about how to install and configure
FreeBSD, which I am VERY interested in.

I have a small LAN setup, with internet access (PPP) via WIN95.
This win95 machine is connected via ethernet and NetBeui to another
machine running DOS 6.22.  Just how the heck to I install via
FTP to the DOS machine??

Your website has provided me with some of the most vague
instructions one could ever encounter!  I only know my DNS
necessary to dial up my Internet Service Provider using
Dial Up Networking in WIN95.  Once connected to my ISP Iam
assigned a dynamic IP address.  Yeah, sure I can go to
your FTP or mirror sites, but how many files to I need to
download and HOW do they end up where they should
be on the DOS client?  Obviously the DOS client can
see my Win95 machine, but not in reverse!  DOS provides
no method of sharing a drive! Do I boot the DOS machine using
a FreeBSD floppy that I have made?  If so, how the
heck does that same DOS machine then see the WIN95 machine
and vice versa???  Does the boot floppy automatically
configure a NetBeui connection to the WIN95 machine, and
enable sharing?!!

I consider myself to be very fluent running DOS and Windows 95,
and I am no further ahead in my understanding of installing,
configuring and using FreeBSD to access the internet
after reading the material on your website thoroughly.

Clearly I am frustrated by the lack of concise FTP install
information.  I really would appreciate some help.
I have heard some great things about FreeBSD and
am looking forward to one day (SOON!) getting it up and running.

Many, many thanks in advance.

[end]