Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 16:40:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        8773836928@skytel.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi question

There are two ways I know of to comment a block of lines in vi.

1) Turn on line numbering with :se nu ; the do:

:7,17s/^/#/

This puts a # at the beginning of lines 7 through 17.

2) Put cursor on line where you want to start the substitution
do this:

:.,+10s/^/#/

That starts at the line you're on (the .) and for that line and
the next 10 lines (11 total) places a # at the beginning of the line.
This is especially useful in editing a kernel config file.

Annelise

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 8773836928@skytel.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been editing some
> Perl scripts in vi recently,
> and I find it very annoying
> that Perl cannot comment
> blocks of code, only lines.
>
> I have been reading the docs in vi, but I can't quite figure out how
to do a substitute command that will, say, prepend a # to the
next n lines, and later remove the # ( well, the second one
I could always use :s and replace the first # with nothing
for the next n lines. But the first one is still a mystery to me ).