Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:30:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Robert J. Brown" <rjb@netpr.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in 3.0

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.981022072836.25979A-100000@mojo.calyx.net> you wrote:

> Issue: bt0 driver crashes the kernel
> FreeBSD Version: 3.0-RELEASE
> Hardware: Buslogic BT-958 (Firmware 5.07B, BIOS 4.96I)
> Kernel: Default kernel that ships with 3.0-RELEASE
> Reproducable: Intermittently
> How it happened: I did a "find / -perm -4000 -print > SUID" and it caused a
>                  panic.
> Details:
>
> Ok, the first time this happened I didn't have savecore enabled. The first
> panic produced this message:
>
> 	panic bt0: too few mailboxes or to many ccbs

Hmm.  Where there any other messages leading up to this?

This is almost certainly a firmware bug.  The card has mailbox
space for 192 concurrent commands, your device configuration will
allow at most ~68 concurrent commands, yet we ran into a mailbox
that was left in the 'busy' state which should never happen.
Leonard Zubkoff's BusLogic page also lists your firmware as
problematic.  Take a look at:

http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/BusLogic.html

for more information.

--