Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:56:11 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2nd ata drive

FBSD 4.3R GENERIC

dmesg.boot shows

ad0: 9541MB <ST310211A> [19386/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
ad1: 73308MB <IBM-DTLA-307075> [148945/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA100
acd0: CDROM <IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 52XS> at ata1-slave using PIO4

ad0 is a standard 4-partition setup, but ad1 is not yet recognized

When I go to /stand/sysinstall for fdisk on ad1, I get:

"
Message

WARNING:  A geometry of 148945/16/63 for ad1 is incorrect.  Using
a more likely geometry.  If this geometry is incorrect or you
are unsure as to whether or not it's correct, please consult
the Hardware Guide in the Documentation submenu or use the
(G)eometry command to change it now.

Remember: you need to enter whatever your BIOS thinks the geometry is!  For
IDE, it's what you were told in the BIOS setup. For SCSI, it's the
translation mode your controller is using.  Do NOT use a "physical geometry".
"

but full-screen fdisk and disklabel work ok.  I leave sysintall, and try

mfb1# fdisk -BI ad1
******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found

I´m not on site to play with, but somebody is.  What do I tell the person
to do?  is the 73 gb useable?  swap out the disk for an 8 gb like ad0 ?

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways