Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:37:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sendmail special configuration

Hi folks.

This is a quite long story, but it *is* needed to understand my concern
and problems. Thanks.

I send this to freebsd-questions because the sendmail website have not
been able to answer my request, either by a too much intricate design, or
by my sheer ignorance. In both cases, you can help me.

I have a unix account at the university where I study, on an IRIX 5.3
server. I recently had my account cut because of problems with my mail. On
the account, I used a ppp emulator which allowed me to use the account as
a ppp connection. However, at some time, the remote host changed his
mailer configuration, and it is now doing a lookup on the domain names
which submit him mail. I had, at that time, a "random" hostname that I
invented... so when the mailer did its checks, it returned hostname can't
resolve, or something like that, and all my mail got stuck in the queue.

I realized after 24hrs that my mail wasn't getting any reply. For me,
everything was normal. My mail was delivered on the server, only it stayed
there, andI didn't have any way to know if something was wrong... 3 days
later I could not log in the server anymore...

My question is:

How can I configure sendmail and/or my system to get mail through the
server overthere. I *need* a failproof answer. I can't make any mistakes
now, as it will make my account be cut again, and I will have quite great
difficulties explaining a 2nd attempt to my director.

What hostname and/or domain name should I give to my system?

What should I change in the sendmail configuration?

Thanks for any input, and sorry for the long story.

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |