Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:09:59 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: european internet access?

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 09:14:44AM +0200, Marco Molteni wrote:
> New telephones come with a plug into which you can insert a rj11 plug, ie:
>
> telephone box -- rj11 plug -- cable -- rj11 plug -- telephone plug -- wall socket
>                                                     ^
> so you insert your plug here------------------------|
>
> if you'll have an old telephone, I think you can find an adapter in a
> normal shop who sells electricity appliances (aargh my english, I hope you
> understand ;-)

What would the adapter be called? Could I find one in the U.S., to just
bring with me? (BTW, your English is fine, I don't have any trouble
understanding what you say)

> Regarding ISP, maybe your best bet is to find a free 1-month subscription,
> which are pretty common in computer magazines (try "PC professionale")
>
> National-wide ISP (connection speed ugly at night) are TIN
> (www.tin.it), Tiscali (maybe www.tiscalinet.it or similar), Infostrada
> (www.infostrada.it)
>
> Or, you can find a local to Santa Marinella ISP, by looking in the italian Yellow
> Pages ("Pagine Gialle", www.paginegialle.it) under "internet".

Local phone calls aren't untimed, as in the U.S., are they? How much would
I end up paying per minute/hour/whatever?

> Enjoy your stay in our sunny Italy

I will :) it isn't the first time I've been to S.M. In 1989, my family
immigrated from the USSR to the US by way of Italy, and we stayed in a town
not too far from S.M. called Ladispoli (I was only 6, though). Last year I
spend a week in S.M. with my uncle as well. This year it'll be two months :)

Thanks for the help

--
Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>         The statements and opinions in my
Unix Admin @ Frontline Communications    public posts are mine, not FCC's.