Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 00:22:03 -0700
From:      "Dragon Knight" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>, <zorklord@xtreme.net.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What version?

>ZorkLord wrote,
>

>> FreeBSD,
>>
>>         Sorry, me again.  I decided to buy the CD from Walnut Creek,
>>         do I want Version 2.2.8 or 3.0??
>
>Sorry, but we don't plan on 2.2.8 coming out until about this time
>next year.

What?  Did I hear that correctly? A quick look at
http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/freebsd.htm and oh, is that FreeBSD 2.2.8 I
see? Yes it is. It would be nice if you didn't spread misinformation as most
of us know whether or not it is incorrect but new users can be confused out
of their minds. I know I always was.

I see some people have recommended 2.2.8, and some have recommended 3.0 in
this thread.  I would say go with 2.2.8 unless you have some sort of
requirement that is not met by the 2.2.8-Release then go with 3.0.  You can
read the release notes etc., to find some of these differences.  I,
personally, have had problems with 3.0.  Right out of the box it had a bunch
of permissions set incorrectly among other things.  Though it probably was
my fault somewhere along the line I can't to this day think of what I might
have done. But now with IDE CD-Recorder support in 2.2.8 I am happy.

Samuel Greear