Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:29:57 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd - @    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:19:00AM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I installed a newer sshd recently on one machine in the network
> which I used to login before already via ssh.
>
> Now I'm getting this infamous
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
> Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
> It is also possible that the host key has just been changed.
> Please contact your system administrator.
> Add correct host key in /home/user/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
> Host key for host.domain has changed and you have requested strict checking.
>
> Do I have to worry about being compromised or is it 'normal' behaviour?

If you did not keep your /etc/ssh/ subdirectory, particularly the host
key files in there, then yes, it's normal.  In future upgrades, try to
keep as many of the config files in /etc/ssh/ as possible.

Okay, so /etc/ssh/ is OpenSSH-specific; the ssh.com SSH likes to keep
those files in /etc, IIRC.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If there were no counterfactuals, this sentence would not have been paradoxical.