Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:45:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
To:        "phk@FreeBSD.ORG" <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>, Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>, "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: 80386 out of GENERIC

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, phk@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> >> FreeBSD still runs on all 386 family CPUs, the only difference is that
> >> if you want to run it on a 80386 you need to enable an option in
> >> your kernel config file.
> >> It will out of the box run on 486 and anything later.
> >
> >It means that you can not install FreeBSD on a 386 unless you have a
> >486+ machine that can compile a new FreeBSD system and have a way to
> >get that version to the 386.
>
> "Too bad".

Harsh, but understandable.
How difficult would the following be to develop, in your opinion?
A boot disk image (like the sets of images on the website tm) that will
boot on 386's as well as more modern CPU's that can newfs and disklabel
your drives, download the source, and let you compile from that point.

That way you don't need to transfer from one box to another, and you get
the compiled install you want right away.

I'd maybe like ot help with something like this but my abilities and
experience are somewhat limited :-)

It shouldn't really be that hard should it? You just need the boot disks,
with utilities that are:
  newfs
  disklabel
  ifconfig
  something to download with (fetch? wget?)
  something to compile with - which can be downloaded with the source
all precompile so the do work on all x86 CPU's.