Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:53:28 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Nicole Harrington <nmh@daemontech.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

* Nicole Harrington <nmh@daemontech.com> [010410 23:45]:

> On 10-Apr-01 Ben Smithurst wrote:
> > Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> > Well if you want the latest security fixes you shouldn't be running a
> > -release anyway, that's that the -stable branch is for.
>
>  Thats the most stupid thing I have every heard.

Don't speak to soon. You haven't heard what I've got to say yet :)

> I never knew that simply by
> running -STABLE I would not have any security problems and would not need
> patches or updates.

By *tracking* STABLE you do. That's the whole point of it, surely.

>  1) A notice that there is problem - So I can tcpwrap or shutdown said service
> until a patch is available.
>
>  2) A binary patch.  Similiar to the Linux RPM.s  and the BSDi patches.
>   Just download and run. No compiles no installs.
>
>  3) A patch that everyone agrees works in an email or other notification that
> says, here's were you can get the patch, this works, here's what to do with
> it.

Isn't that what gets patched into STABLE?
If it's a userpsace problem, a make world often isn't
necessary. After a sup, you just go into the releavant directories and
make install.  Kernel bugs are going to need a reboot anyway.

I agree with you on the notification issue; we need some kind of
batphone - particularly for the new guys, a URL in the default /etc/motd
would help.
(leaving aside the issue of whether we have a workable batphone yet)

Cheers.
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns