Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:24:23 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@LUCIDA.CA>
Cc:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, FreeBSD-QUESTIONS <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Video Capture/TV cards -- reports from the field

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:45:56PM -0500, Matt Heckaman wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> : The TV Wonder is at best terrible on a good day. Don't buy it. On top of
> : that ATI doesn't seem to be too concerned about it.
>
> As I've learned now from several people :) I must stop listening to my
> rabid-ATI-fan friend.. I know I never liked their 3D cards, didn't know
> why I thought this might be different :P

Well... I don't know about ATI TV Wonder, but I've never had bad luck
with Mach64-based ATI video cards. They have great support in XFree86,
they're cheap, and they work.

For TV, I use a $50 Hauppage WinTV GO, which doesn't have stereo sound
or a remote, but it was cheap. It worked right out of the box in both
Linux and FreeBSD, with FreeBSD being the simpler to configure. Just add
the bktr device to your kernel (I've never tried the module, as I don't
believe in modules for oft-used functions), and you should be set to go.

I don't know what TV viewer apps there are for FreeBSD outside of fxtv,
if there are any, but that is a great app. It beats out xawtv and its
derivative or clone works in Linux. For one thing, I was able to get the
WinTV GO working at 24bpp on my POS i810 video, whereas Linux wouldn't
work above 16bpp.

Just get a WinTV (they have more expensive models with stereo and IR
remote ports), add bktr to your kernel, build fxtv, and you're in
TV-on-BSD heaven.
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx