Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:59:28 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FireFox & linuxpluginwrapper

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 16:14, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 17:56, Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
> > I installed the linuxpluginwrapper, and created the libmap.conf
> > as directed.  I restarted firefox, went to sbc.yahoo.com where I
> > know there is flash, and the browser disappears.  I had this problem
> > before, but I was having other Galeon/Mozilla problems.  So I deleted
> > everything and started over.  I haven't installed flash till today.  Are
> > users able to use linuxpluginwrapper with the latest firefox?
>
> Works for me:
>
> linuxpluginwrapper-20041017
> firefox-1.0.1.p_4
>
> However, the key is not using Flash 7.  As mentioned in the latest
> commit message for lpw, Flash 7 is broken on Firefox.  Flash 6 will work
> just fine, though.  Note: lpw and Firefox don't tend to behave as well
> together as Mozilla and lpw or Galeon and lpw.  For the most
> problem-free Firefox experience, don't use lpw.

Here is a partial stack dump after visiting my.yahoo.com with flash-6
installed:

0x48976ace in strcmp () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
(gdb) bt
#0  0x48976ace in strcmp () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#1  0x4977ad63 in SecurityContextTable::GetContextForURLCore ()
   from /usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so
#2  0x4977ad2a in SecurityContextTable::GetContextForURL ()
   from /usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so
#3  0x497b454e in EnterSecurityContext_NS::EnterSecurityContext_NS ()
   from /usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so
#4  0x497b49e8 in nsScriptablePeer::StopPlay ()
   from /usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so

So, obviously, flash-6 does not work all the time.

(This is on a relatively recent 4.10)

/Joe