Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:57:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdougall@ameritech.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options DPT_LOST_IRQ

Adam McDougall, On 24-Sep-98 you wrote:
>  Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >
> > > The symptom (at least on my system) is that the HD totally freezes up
> > > with the light on, and the dpt sits there merrily idle, while freebsd
> > > processes start losing sanity because the disk cannot be accessed
> > > (eg.
> > > any interaction with the system which would trigger a HD access would
> > > freeze up that portion of the system..)   I know there is a 'irq
> > > pending' led on the dpt which may indicate the condition has occurred
> > > for some people, but mine didnt happen this way, and adding this
> > > kernel
> > > option ceased the described lockups.  I have a 2144UW, a Atlas II,
> > > and a
> > > Mtech R534 motherboard.
> >
> > This looks like an "Atlas II firmware of death" problem, not a DPT
> > problem.  What firmware are you using?  Before switching to LYK8, I
> > saw similar behavior on an Adaptec controller with an AtlasII.
> >
> > --
> > Justin

>  I've tried many many times to update it, making sure im terminated
>  correctly etc. I am using a sca to 68 pin converter on the atlas II,  I
>  hope that isn't causing any bother with this; Any time I'd attempt to
>  update the firmware with either qshrldr or the other more fancy menuized
>  program (both for dos) my drive would act like the power had been
>  breifly lost, and go through the noises it makes during poweron.  I've
>  called Quantum about it and they basically can't offer help since I am
>  using the sca->68 which is a nono in their book.  Right now I have the
>  LX80 firmware.  Thanks

Although I have had my generous share of grief with these drives (I never
touch them but people seem to like them, this particular problem is not
drive induced.

>  with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth