Date:      30 Dec 2005 13:20:51 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        JK <jdkullmann@aliencamel.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recursive FTP upload tool?

Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org> writes:

> On Dec 30, 2005, at 1:03 PM, JK wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:10:07 +0100 (CET)
> >  Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@gmx.net> wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >> I'm looking for a command-line tool to recursively upload all changed
> >> files/directories to my homepage server via FTP.  Is there anything
> >> better than wput for this task?
> >
> > 'rsync' is perfectly suited for this and much much better than ftp.
> >
> > ''man rsync''
>

> It is, but I believe it only works over SSH. Perhaps it can be
> configured to work over FTP, I've never tried (no reason to).

>From rsync(1):

       There are two different ways for rsync  to  contact  a  remote  system:
       using  a  remote-shell program as the transport (such as ssh or rsh) or
       contacting an rsync daemon directly via TCP.  The  remote-shell  trans-
       port  is used whenever the source or destination path contains a single
       colon (:) separator after a host specification.   Contacting  an  rsync
       daemon  directly happens when the source or destination path contains a
       double colon (::) separator after a  host  specification,  OR  when  an
       rsync://  URL  is  specified (see also the "USING RSYNC-DAEMON FEATURES
       VIA A REMOTE-SHELL CONNECTION" section for an exception to this  latter
       rule).