Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 14:09:16 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   elm port woes

I'm trying to install elm from ports-current onto a somewhat older
3.0-current (maybe 2.2.6 times).

I copied over the mk files, maybe I should have rebuilt make as well, anyway
what I'm getting is:

toots# make install
===>  Installing for elm-2.4ME+43
===>  Warning: your umask is "0002".
      If this is not desired, set it to an appropriate value
      and install this port again by ``make reinstall''.
cd melib; /usr/bin/make  - install
ar r libme.a
ar: no archive members specified
usage: ar -d [-Tv] archive file ...
       ar -m [-Tv] archive file ...
       ar -m [-abiTv] position archive file ...
       ar -p [-Tv] archive [file ...]
       ar -q [-cTv] archive file ...
       ar -r [-cuTv] archive file ...
       ar -r [-abciuTv] position archive file ...
       ar -t [-Tv] archive [file ...]
       ar -x [-ouTv] archive [file ...]
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Reason behind:

Users are complaing that the elm I installed recently did ill-behave
with the following respects:

1) elm ate up mail when using pgp (couldn't rename a file in some tmp dir)

2) cursor (arrow) keys didn't work any longer at least for people
   logging in via ssh and using elm. (cannot say for sure that
   it worked in other situations).

Any ideas?