Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 01:17:32 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Pontius Malmberg <p9nch@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proxy/gateway/router

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 01:04:08AM -0800, Pontius Malmberg wrote:
> hi there:
> i have @home cable modem and running a network with 8
> neighbors where i am providing them with internet
> connection. i am using wingate right now as a
> proxy/router (i guess it's called). it's working
> pretty good, however, i would like to setup one of my
> old Pentium 133MHz computers as a FreeBSD
> proxy/router.
> now, is there a way to setup a FreeBSD computer to do
> the same as i am currently doing with wingate? would
> ipfirewall or ipfw meet my needs? or that's just a
> firewall and not a proxy/router?
>
> i don't know if i am using the correct lingo, but i
> think it's called a router when you supply internal ip
> addresses with internet connection like i do above
> with wingate?

A router just receives IP packets and decides where the next place to
send them should be. You probably are not just routing. Does each of the
eight machines have a globally valid IP address that you some how get
from @Home? If they do, you may be doing routing (but I would more
likely expect bridging). If they are not, you are doing network
address translation (NAT). NAT seems to be what you are incorrectly
calling proxying (but you seem to realize this).

IPFilter, ipf(8), and IPFW, ipfw(8), do not do NAT themselves, but
each has closely associated software that does the trick, ipnat(8)
and natd(8), respectively. A simple NAT setup is quite easy to
do. Have a look at the various documentation and feel free to come
back with more specific questions.