Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:11:45 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make search isn't making any results in ports

this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 15 12:18 -0400,
sent by Salvo Bartolotta

> "make search" is performed on the INDEX (cf ports(7)). I seem to understand
> that the search operation used to work on your machine, and that the
> above-mentioned problem has only been present for the past few days.

that's about correct...

> <guess type="wild">
> I would say that your INDEX file is scr**ed up and/or in an inconsistent
> state. Since remaking it ("make index") didn't work, the
> scr**age^Winconsistent state seems to originate in your ports tree.
>
> BTW, how did you manage to achieve that? :-)
> </guess>

...could be due to moving from /usr/ports to /source/ports or doing
make clean there, but both seem to be highly unlikely reasons.

but then one must not underestimate the possiblity of stupidity
striking with venegnace.

> You should take a closer look at your ports tree, in order to see where the
> problem lies and/or whether it can be easily fixed.

i was hoping for some make magic...

> At the moment, the only
> (drastic) workaround that comes to mind is the following:
>
> 0) blow your current ports tree;
> 1) reinstall the ports from your most recent CD;
> 2) resync it **twice**:
>
> 2a) the first time, you "update" it to the date of release of your CD (as
> close as possible) by adding the "date" keyword (cf cvsup(1)); which is in the
> spirit of the suggestions found in J. Polstra's site at http://www.polstra.com
> (cf Q12, Q13 in the FAQ): that is, you create the checkouts file in the Right
> Way(tm);
>
> 2b) the second time, you actually update the ports tree, as usual (ie "tag=."
> only).

(0) done

(1) skipped; only have 3.4-release cds

(2) doing it once; if make search fails, will do twice.