Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:52:42 +0200
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "'Lukas Ertl'" <le@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Vinum status

On the subject of gvinum status:

Has anyone tried to verify the recovery capability of gvinum for RAID-5
arrays? I recently helped a friend set up a 4 disc RAID-5 array, and the
other day he called me and wanted to know how to verify data integrity =
in
case of a disc problem. Since all 4 discs are SATA I suggested he would
blast data at the array (which is exported as a Samba share) and then in =
the
middle of that pull one of the SATA cables out.

With two other computers pushing data onto the Samba share, he pulled =
one of
the cables. The machine detected that the disc was gone and removed it =
from
the configuration. gvinum then noticed the missing disc, said it was =
down
and then reported the plex as degraded (which is exactly what I was
expecting). However, instead of then continuing to run in degraded mode, =
the
machine page-faulted. I do not have any details about this page-fault, =
but
if my friend is the only one with this problem I can quite easily get =
more
details by trying it again (this time with KDB/DDB compiled in and me at =
the
console).

Has anyone else tried this? Did it work?

System:
* ASUS P2B-DS, 2 x 700MHz P3, 1GB ECC mem
* 4 x 120GB Maxtor SATA discs hooked up to a HighPoint RocketRAID 1540
(HPT374)
* 5-CURRENT (from 2004.08.02 I think, so after preemption was disabled)

/Daniel Eriksson

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAA0VcX9IoJqUaXPS8MjT1PdsKAAAAQAAAA%2BuZEbhcbi0a2SqE8uSZxKQEAAAAA>