Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:07:12 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple IP address question

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 10:22:06PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> I have multiple IP addresses in one ethernet card but it try to only
> connect through the first IP address defined in the ethernet card but not
> with the aliased one.
> How can I have 2 IP addresses and use the second one also? (for example
> with squid in different processes)

When making outgoing connections, a process will default to using the
"real" IP as opposed to the aliased one. For incoming connections, the
address used on the incoming connection will obviously be the one used
for outgoing. It is for the second case an alias comes in handy the
most. In order to get an application to use one address or the other,
the functionality has to be built in to the program. However, there is
usually not that much to gain from this. More frequently, people want
processes to listen on a specific address.
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com