Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 09:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tiggie <kleung@frodi.cs.uop.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem with installation

My current setup is as follows:

	Intel Pentium 90 MHz chip on a Zeos Pentera System
	Adaptec 1522 SCSI-2 controller
	Quantum Empire 1080s (1 Gig SCSI-2 hard drive)
	two other IDE hard drives

	**the two other IDE harddrives have my MS-DOS stuff on it.  And
my SCSI drive is split in half with the first half also being a MS-DOS
partition.  The last half of the SCSI hard drive is going to be devoted
to FreeBSD.

	Why?  My FreeBSD environment is goning to be my UNIX learning
environment for right now because I am still only a student in college.

The MS-DOS partition is on cylinders 0 to 511 when the enhanced disk
Geometery was turned off out of 1024.  When I tried it with the enhanced
disk geometery software supplied with the SCSI controller, MS-DOS was on
cylinders 0 to 65 out of 130 cylinders.  FreeBSD was then installed on
the second half of the drive.  The boot_flp and cpio_flp parts of the
installation went okay.  The problem starts after it asks the system to
reboot.  The boot manager on the first drive(IDE) deos respond with the
option menu:

F1    dos
F5    disk2  <I think>

default F?  <then I press the F5 key>

The system then responds with a message saying that there is no operating
system. <This happen with standard disk geometery and enhanced geometery>

I then reboot to the floppy disk, but at the boot: prompt I havetried
putting other things such at the following to direct it toward the
FreeBSD partition:

  sd(0,a)/kernel
  sd0(0,a)/kernel

But it still can't locate the root directory.

Going back over the  procedure a few times, I checked the debug screen
while the system process the info after you assigned the partitions and
proceeded on with the installation.  the debug screen would display:

WARNING:  Calculations don't match ... <something to that extent>

Does this have anything to do with the problem.

Kevin